Follow NWSC on Facebook

Hot Issues




Oregon State Electricians – Earn Two CE Credits Through NWSC/ISA! 

Continuing education is an important way to ensure you stay informed and current about new requirements, skills, knowledge and evolving practices in your field. Electricians in Oregon must obtain 4 to 24 continuing education credits every three years, depending on the type of license they hold. 

To help you fulfill this requirement, the Northwest Sign Council submitted two ISA online learning courses to the Oregon Department of Consumer and Business Services, and the courses were approved for 2 hours of continuing education credit.

The two courses are Sign Installer’s Guide: Safety and Sign Installer’s Guide: Electrical Sign InstallationBoth courses must be taken in order to receive the continuing education credit.

The Sign Installer’s Guide: Safety course introduces the sign installer to various safety and risk prevention measures that should be followed during the sign installation process. This course covers a wide variety of safety considerations that professionals in the sign industry should be aware of before undertaking a signage project, including the steps to take to ensure safety from electrocution.

The course consists of four modules which cover the following:

Price: Member: $50, Nonmember: $150
Click here to register. 

The Sign Installer's Guide: Electrical Sign Installation course delves into basic information pertaining to the installation and maintenance of electrical signs. The course covers all of the major requirements and considerations, from complying with NFPA 70E standard and working effectively with your local inspector, to using lockout devices and field-installed wiring in EMCs.

The course consists of four modules:

Price: Member: $50, Nonmember: $150
Click here to register

For more information about Oregon’s continuing education requirements, please click here to visit their website.

If you have any questions about the courses, please contact ISA at



This rule applies to facilities that use paints/coatings which include the following Hazardous Air Pollutants: chromium, lead, manganese, nickel, or cadmium. If your paints do NOT contain these HAPs, or if you apply the paint by brush or roller, you must file either: 1) petition of exemption, or 2) compliance notification. Owners or operators of a spray coating operation that do nothing may be subject to violation. If you do spray these HAPs, you need to file a notification with the EPA of your compliance with their requirements. These requirements include:

- Employee training
- Efficient spray guns
- 98% efficient booth and mixing room filters
- Approved prep booth (no open air spraying)
- Approved gun cleaner

The rule also applies to any paint stripping operations that involve the use of methylene chloride. You can find an easy to read summary at Click here for the full rule which details exactly who is affected and what needs to be done to comply.

The employee training can be outsourced (some paint suppliers and distributors do these trainings) or can be done in house.
EPA rule: Full_HAPs6H_Rule
EPA information site: